BAKAMPA
BRIAN BARYAGUMA
MOBILE: +256753124713 / +256772748300;
EMAIL: bakampasenior@gmail.com;
WEB ADDRESS: www.huntedthinker.blogspot.com;
Kampala, Uganda.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
Wednesday, 22nd
July, 2026.
To:
Registrar,
Court of Appeal of Uganda,
Courts of Judicature, KAMPALA.
Your Worship,
Re: Request to Substitute Justice Nakachwa
Florence with Another Justice of Appeal on the Panel of Justices to Hear and
Determine Civil
Appeal No.
Thank
you for your good service to Uganda. God bless you.
I am very grateful for your appointing a panel of justices to hear and determine my above captioned cases. Thank you very much. Through Your Worship, I extend similar gratitude to the Honourable the Deputy Chief Justice and the Court Administrator for their cooperation in this regard.
The
panel as stands now comprises JUSTICES GASHIRABAKE CHRISTOPHER, NAKACHWA
FLORENCE and SSEKAANA MUSA. But
I humbly request Your Worship to replace Justice Nakachwa Florence with another
justice because she was an active participant in the events/chain of causation leading
to my suing the Respondent, Law Development Centre (LDC). She is even
named in the court documents, notably conferencing notes and will most likely
feature in subsequent documents. So, maintaining her on the panel will be
tantamount to her sitting in her own case, which I think is too much to ask of
her and unfair.
Yesterday
(Tuesday, 21st July, 2026) afternoon, I had opportunity of meeting H.W.
Natukunda Janeva, the registrar in charge of this case and expressed
reservations on the panel as constituted and requested her to get another panel
to hear the case in this session. She told me that Justices Nakachwa and
Ssekaana had also communicated to her their concerns about sitting in the case.
She also said that it is very hard to get two other justices – that at least if
it were one, a replacement can be got; and that the Deputy Chief Justice is
available to sit. When I said that the DCJ is also a former employee of LDC,
just like Justices Nakachwa and Ssekaana, Her Worship Natukunda remarked that, “We all have past links to LDC. It is
very hard to find someone who has never been associated with the institution.
You will have to take some of them as they are.”
I am persuaded
by the reasoning of Her Worship Natukunda and am convinced to accept and take
it. I thank her very much for the good guidance. ON THIS NOTE, THEREFORE, I
HEREBY EXPRESS MY WITHDRAWAL OF RESERVATIONS TO JUSTICE SSEKAANA MUSA SITTING
AS A PANELIST IN MY CASE AGAINST LDC. I ALSO HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH THE DCJ
SITTING IN THE CASE, ON ACCOUNT OF HIS PAST LDC EMPLOYMENT. It is important
that this case is disposed of so that as parties we have a way forward, but
also that the court churns it out of the system.
Unless, the good
Justices themselves insist on not participating in the case, I think we,
parties, should be okay with them hearing and determining it. All that is
expected of them is to abide by their judicial oath to do justice to all manner
of people, without fear or favour; and in so doing, balance the interests of
parties as against the dictates of the law.
Most obliged,
[signed]
Bakampa Brian Baryaguma
Appellant cum Applicant
Mobile: +256753124713.
Email: bakampasenior@gmail.com.
Copy to: Kyagaba
& Otatiina Advocates (also p/a Dentons)

No comments:
Post a Comment